Total Time:20 minutes
If you’re making a meal of Thai favorites like coconut milk-based curries or stir-fry noodles, this salad is the ideal side or starter. In an authentic Thai larb, glutinous rice is dry toasted and ground to make a powder called khao khua. To simplify the process, this version leaves out the rice powder, but is delicious in its own right. Seared shiitake mushrooms are tossed with fresh mint and crunchy cashews then served in Bibb lettuce leaves for a satisfying dish.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh mint (loosely packed)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or tamari
- Place a wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, drizzle with avocado oil and swirl to coat. Add the mushrooms, stirring and searing for about three minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, shallots, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir for another minute.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the mint and fish sauce, and toss to mix. Let cool slightly.
Serve in bibb lettuce leaves with cashews or peanuts on top and lime wedges on the side.
150 calories, 11 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 370 mg. sodium, 11 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 5 g. protein