Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
Total Time:45 minutes, 25 minutes active
If you thought that creamy soups had to contain cream, you are in for an eye-opening treat. In this thick and luscious soup, cashews provide the creaminess, with no dairy at all. The crispy chickpeas are a wonderful addition, giving each bowl a burst of color and texture.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least four hours in cool water
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the chickpeas on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika, cumin and salt and toss to coat. Bake for 25 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through. When the chickpeas are browned, remove from the oven and stir to mix, then transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat for a few seconds, then add the avocado oil. Add the onion and stir, and when they start to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium. Stir the onions often for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the cauliflower, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, salt and stir, then add the water and raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium low; cook for 10 minutes. When the cauliflower is very tender, uncover and let cool.
- Place the soaked cashews into a food processor or blender and use a slotted spoon to scoop the solids from the pot into the processor or blender, leaving the liquids in the pot. Puree the cauliflower mixture until smooth.
- Stir the puree into the liquids in the pot and warm over medium heat. Stir in the spinach and cook just until wilted. Serve with crispy chickpeas.
Serve this flavorful, creamy soup topped with the chickpeas and with a loaf of rustic bread.
300 calories, 14 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 1010 mg. sodium, 38 g. carbohydrate, 12 g. fiber, 13 g. protein