Three Bean Salad with Bacon
Total Time:20 minutes
- 2 cups chopped fresh green beans
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to boil in a large pot; add the green beans and edamame and cook for about 2 minutes. Drain well. Place in a large bowl with the kidney beans, bell pepper, onion and parsley.
- Line a plate with a double layer of paper towels. Scatter the chopped bacon in a skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked bacon onto the plate to drain. Measure 3 to 4 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan, and drain the extra. Put the measured bacon fat back in the pan and add the honey, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Pour the hot dressing over the bean mixture and toss to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Take this hearty and unusual three-bean salad as your contribution to a summer picnic or potluck. It’s quick to prepare for a weeknight dinner at home, too, with turkey burgers or grilled chicken kebabs.
350 calories, 19 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 450 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 12 g. protein