Beans and Greens with Bacon
Total Time:40 minutes
This simple and nutritious Mediterranean side is full of kale, garbanzo and smoky bacon (real or vegetarian) goodness.
- 6 ounces uncooked bacon, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 pound mustard greens and/or kale, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring frequently, until it is browned and crispy. Remove the bacon and place it on a paper towel to drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pot.
- Saute the onions and carrots in the bacon fat over medium-high heat for several minutes until onions are beginning to soften, then add the garlic and saute another two minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add the greens and garbanzo beans, lower the heat and simmer the greens for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and cooked bacon and season with salt and pepper.
Top with medallions of roasted pork tenderloin or Parmesan-crusted pork chops for a special New Year’s dinner, or serve alongside roast chicken or meatloaf.
178 calories, 8 g. fat, 15 mg. cholesterol, 476 mg. sodium, 18 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 15 g. protein