Moroccan Vegetable Tagine with Chickpeas
Total Time:40 minutes; 30 minutes active
Looking for a one-pot meal that will make mouths water? This fragrant, spice-kissed mélange of tender vegetables and Moroccan-inspired spices is a wonder to behold, brilliantly colored and full of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced and peeled (optional)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 21/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy pot with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onions. When they start to sizzle, lower the heat, then cook until golden, stirring occasionally for at least 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sweet potato to the pan, raise the heat to medium-high, and continue sauteing, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower, almonds, raisins and ginger and cook until the almonds start to color, about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, stock, honey and lemon juice and cover the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the vegetables in the tagine are tender, remove from heat. Serve over couscous or rice, for a gluten-free option.
Serve over couscous or rice, for a full, one plate meal.
420 calories, 18 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 600 mg. sodium, 61 g. carbohydrate, 13 g. fiber , 13 g. protein