Rice with Feta and Cranberry Mint Relish
Total Time:30 minutes; 20 minutes active
Rice is nice, especially when it’s bedazzled with a colorful distribution of dried cranberries, walnuts and parsley. Mediterranean flavors predominate in this dish, with a seasonal addition of tangy cranberries.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and raise the heat to high, stirring to coat the grains with butter. Add the salt and water and bring to a boil, then cover tightly and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed.
- While the rice cooks, place the walnuts and cranberries on a cutting board and chop coarsely. Transfer to a medium bowl. Chop the mint, parsley and garlic and add to the bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and toss to mix.
- When the rice is done, spread into a two-quart baking dish or gratin pan. Cover the rice with the feta cheese and sprinkle the walnut mixture over the cheese. Serve hot.
Serve with lamb roast or Greek gigantes beans and a fresh green salad.
520 calories, 28 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol, 620 mg. sodium, 57 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 12 g. protein