Pumpkin Parmesan Savory Scones
Total Time:35 minutes; 15 minutes active
This savory scone is the perfect accompaniment to a steaming bowl of minestrone or a crisp glass of dry cider or chilled white wine.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil it. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, dried thyme, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate the butter into the flour, tossing to coat. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and toss to mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and cream. Stir into the dry mixture just until mixed, then add walnuts. Spread a little flour on the counter, then scrape the dough out onto the flour. Form into a round, and flatten to about an inch thick. Sprinkle with chopped thyme, top with remaining Parmesan, and pat down with your palms. Using a knife, divide the round into 8 wedges. Transfer to the baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between the scones.
- Bake for about 18–20 minutes, until the scones are golden around the edges and firm to the touch. Cool on racks before storing in a tightly covered container or bag.
A warming, savory scone featuring the flavors of fall is the perfect accompaniment to a steaming bowl of minestrone soup or enjoyed with a crisp glass of dry cider or chilled white wine.
330 calories, 21 g. fat, 45 mg. cholesterol, 460 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 9 g. protein