Strawberry Walnut Scones
Total Time:45 minutes; 20 minutes active
Take a moment for yourself with these tender, buttery whole grain scones speckled with sweet, juicy berries and crunchy nuts.
- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or coat with vegetable oil spray. In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut chilled butter into cubes and work the butter into the flour mixture quickly with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly but small chunks of butter remain. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt and vanilla; mix well. Make a well in the dry mixture and pour in the wet, stir just until mixed, then stir in walnuts. Place half the dough on a floured counter or breadboard and shape into a circle 8 inches across, then cover with halved strawberries. Crumble the remaining dough over the strawberries and pat to cover, and form a disk about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar and pat to adhere.
- Use a knife to slice like a pie into 8 wedges. Place each wedge onto the sheet pan with at least 1 inch between them. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm, or cool completely and store, tightly covered, for up to 4 days at room temperature.
Served with a touch of butter or a drizzle of honey, fresh-baked scones are the perfect companion to a cup of coffee or tea.
390 calories, 18 g. fat, 60 mg. cholesterol, 450 mg. sodium, 51 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 11 g. protein