Penne with Kale, Gorgonzola and Walnuts
Total Time:30 minutes; 20 minutes active
This comforting pasta dish features a blend of flavors from kale, walnuts and creamy gorgonzola cheese. Instead of making a time-consuming sauce, simply toss the pasta with garlicky olive oil and melting cheese to cover the penne and kale with a rich, tangy coating.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain the pasta in a large colander and put the pot back on the stove.
- Place the walnuts in a small saute pan over medium heat, and swirl and stir until fragrant and toasty, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. When cooled, chop coarsely.
- In the pot you used to cook the pasta, drizzle the oil and place over medium-high heat. Wait a few seconds, then add the garlic, lemon zest, pepper flakes and salt. Stir until the oil is bubbling and the garlic is fragrant — don't let it brown. Add the chopped kale and turn in the pan with tongs until it is wilted and dark green, about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the pasta to back the pan and toss to mix. While hot, stir in the gorgonzola and walnuts and toss to mix.
- Serve hot.
This rich, creamy one-pot meal requires no side dishes. Serve with a refreshing side like honey-roasted citrus or a dessert like lemon sorbet.
660 calories, 21 g. fat, 105 mg. cholesterol, 760 mg. sodium, 76 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 26 g. protein