Lebanese Cabbage Salad
Total Time:15 minutes
Take a break from your usual coleslaw and try this minty, jalapeno-kissed cabbage salad. Using the slicing and shredding blades of your food processor makes this salad a snap, but you can always slice and grate it all by hand. This is light and crunchy, and it lasts for a few days in the refrigerator, too.
- 1/2 small red cabbage (8 cups shredded)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1 large red or green chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Orange segments
- Toasted slivered almonds
- Use the slicing blade of a food processor to shred the cabbage, then switch to the coarse blade to shred the carrot. (You can do it by hand, as well.)
- Place in a large bowl and add onions, jalapeño, parsley and mint. In a cup, combine the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to mix.
- Transfer to a serving platter, then top with orange segments and almonds.
Serve as a side with other Middle Eastern dishes or swap for the usual coleslaw at your next barbecue and serve alongside burgers and hotdogs.
220 calories, 12 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 260 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 7 g. protein