Creamy Artichoke-Spinach Dip
Total Time:4 hours, 55 minutes; 20 minutes active
A rich cashew cream stands in for mayo, sour cream and cheese in this outstanding, crowd-pleasing dip.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 14-ounce can small artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons panko (optional)
- Toast or crackers
- Place cashews in a bowl of cool water in the refrigerator at least 4 hours prior to preparation.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square or 1-quart round baking dish and reserve.
- Place the drained cashews, water, lemon juice and olive oil in a blender and blend until very smooth, scraping down as necessary. When smooth, add the garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric and blend to mix well.
- Scrape the puree into a large bowl and stir in the spinach and artichoke hearts. Spread in the baking pan and sprinkle with panko, if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and slightly browned on top. The dip can be prepared and refrigerated, tightly wrapped, up to 2 days before baking. Once baked, cover and refrigerate the cooled dip for up to 4 days.
Tips & Notes
Skip the panko crumbs for a gluten-free dip and serve with gluten-free crackers.
550 calories, 40 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 490 mg. sodium, 39 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 18 g. protein