Very Veggie Egg Bake
Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes; 25 minutes active
This tasty, colorful, vegetable-rich egg bake makes a satisfying meal and can be cooked ahead of time and reheated.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. frozen hash browns, thawed
- 10 oz. frozen corn, thawed
- 10 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed
- 6 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 8 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain, whole-fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan or casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring, for at least 5 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Add the hash browns, corn and broccoli and stir, turning the vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the vegetables in the prepared baking pan, and dollop the pesto over the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, salt and pepper. Drizzle over the vegetables, using your spatula to lift the veggies just enough to allow the eggs to flow around them. Smooth the top, and if desired, sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes, until the eggs and veggies are firm when pressed and golden brown on top.
- Serve hot, or let cool completely, cover tightly, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat at 350°F in the oven for 20 minutes, or microwave individual slices.
This tasty breakfast or brunch dish is perfectly complemented by a cold fruit salad or a simple green salad with a vinaigrette.
320 calories, 10 g. fat, 215 mg. cholesterol, 270 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 14 g. protein