Sausage and Salsa Verde Stew
Total Time:30 minutes; 20 minutes active
You can make a lively, sausage-filled stew in about 30 minutes. Your co-op carries a variety of pre-cooked sausages, so you can pick a spicy chorizo, a milder one, or go with plant-based sausages for a vegetarian meal. Canned corn and jarred salsa verde will help make it both fast and flavorful. You can opt to peel and cube the squash yourself or buy peeled and cubed squash in the produce department.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces pre-cooked sausage links, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 15-ounce can of corn, drained, or 1½ cup, frozen
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir, reducing the heat to medium-low when they start to sizzle. Stir for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds, then add the sausage, corn, oregano, squash, stock and salsa verde and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Taste for salt — your salsa may have been salty enough.
- Serve topped with cilantro and sliced jalapeños.
Serve over rice or with hot cornbread muffins or warm corn tortillas.
580 calories, 37 g. fat, 75 mg. cholesterol, 1990 mg. sodium, 40 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 26 g. protein