Total Time:30 minutes
The tomato panzanella is a classic salad for good reason — it combines juicy tomatoes with tender mozzarella and rustic bread. Take it a step further by toasting the bread on the grill and adding grilled zucchini and avocado. This will be the hit of the grilling season, on its own or alongside grilled entrees.
- 2 slices of rustic bread, cut ¾-inch thick
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large, firm avocado, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into ¾-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 large tomatoes, chunked
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Put two tablespoons of avocado oil in a small bowl or cup and dip a wadded paper towel into the oil. When ready to grill, use tongs to swab the grate with the oiled towel.
- Use your pastry brush to brush the bread, zucchini, avocado and onion with oil, then place each piece on the hot grill. Grill the bread for about one minute per side, until browned and toasted. Grill the zucchini, onion and avocado until tender, about four to five minutes. Transfer the food back to the cutting board and let cool, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the grilled ingredients to a large bowl. In a bowl, whisk the remaining oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic, and pour over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil to the bowl, and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
Serve with grilled protein such as steak, chicken or your favorite type of burgers.
400 calories, 22 g. fat, 15 mg. cholesterol, 750 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber, 16 g. protein