Garden Vegetable Saute
Total Time:40 to 45 minutes
This tempeh, zucchini and tomato saute is packed with flavor, fiber, and a lot of other goodness.
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup burgundy or dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Mix together wine and soy sauce, and pour it over the tempeh cubes, and marinate while chopping vegetables. After vegetables are chopped, drain the tempeh and reserve the marinade.
- In a wok or large saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add the tempeh to the onions and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until tempeh starts to brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the zucchini, salt lightly, cover the pot, and cook for 5 minutes. Add peppers and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings and taste. Add reserved marinade to taste, being careful the saute doesn’t become too salty. Cook until the tomatoes break down into the sauce, about 10 minutes.
Per Serving: 410 calories, 16g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 45g carbohydrates, 18g dietary fiber, 20g protein, 614mg sodium