Four-can Campfire Chili
Total Time:35 minutes; 15 minutes active
Nobody wants to pack a whole pantry to take to the campsite. For this easy chili, all you need is an onion and four cans plus spices you can pack up ahead of time. Cooking a pot of chili over the fire is a fun way to relax after a day of hiking, and the payoff is a satisfyingly smoky bowl of chili.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 12-ounce can of lager beer
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large Dutch oven over the fire, warm the olive oil, then add the onion and stir. Sauté until the onion is soft and clear.
- Add the canned beans and their juices, the tomatoes and their juices, beer, chipotle powder, salt, cumin and garlic powder and stir, then simmer until thick, about 20 minutes.
Simply serve topped with crushed chips or crackers for a perfect camping meal.
300 calories, 3.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 850 mg. sodium, 47 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 15 g. protein