Chewy Cocoa Granola Bars
Total Time:50 minutes; 20 minutes active
Chewy, nutty granola bars are perfect for packing in lunches or carrying along for anytime you need a boost.
- 2 cups rolled oats, thick
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cherries or other dried fruit
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds, walnuts or peanuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut a piece of parchment paper 8 inches wide, and place it in an 8” x 8” baking pan, with the edges hanging over to make handles for easy removal of the finished bars.
- On a sheet pan, spread the oats and toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes, until fragrant and lightly golden in spots. Let cool on a rack.
- Place the cooled oats in a large bowl and add the dried fruit, nuts, cocoa and salt and stir to mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, honey and vanilla. Stir until smooth, then pour over the oat mixture. Stir until well mixed, then spread in the prepared pan. Using a spatula, press the mixture firmly and evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the bars feel firm when pressed. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then use the parchment to lift the bars out and let cool completely. Cut 3-by-4 to make 12 bars. Store, tightly wrapped, for up to 4 days at room temperature or a week in the refrigerator.
Tips & Notes
To make them vegan, opt for agave syrup instead of honey.
120 calories, 3.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 65 mg. sodium, 22 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 2 g. protein