Wild Mushroom Linguine
Total Time:20 minutes; 15 minutes active
Mushroom fans will love this pasta. It’s studded with hearty wild mushrooms and bathed in a creamy sauce. If you are looking for a way to show off your morel harvest, this is ideal, but you can make it with whatever mushrooms are available. You can even use dried mushrooms, adding the soaking water to the sauce for an intense mushroom flavor.
- 12 ounces dried linguine
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini, shiitake or morel mushrooms, sliced (or 1½ ounces dried mushrooms; see tips below)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put on a pot of salted water to boil for the pasta, and cook the pasta according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat, and add the mushrooms. Stir until the mushrooms are softened, lightly browned and nearly dry, about four minutes. Add the garlic and lemon zest and stir for about a minute.
- Add the half and half and bring to a boil; reduce heat so it won't boil over, but let it simmer vigorously for two minutes to thicken slightly. Stir in the parmesan until melted, then remove from heat.
- Add the drained pasta, parsley, salt and pepper to the pan, and use tongs to turn in the sauce until well mixed. Serve immediately.
Serve with a side of roasted broccoli, asparagus or a leafy green salad.
Tips and Notes
If using dried mushrooms, place the mushrooms in a heat-safe cup or bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for an hour, until the mushrooms are completely hydrated and tender. Drain, saving ½ cup of the soaking water. Slice the mushrooms and proceed, reducing the sauteing time to two minutes. Add the reserved mushroom soaking water and bring to a boil until the pan is nearly dry. Then proceed with the garlic and lemon zest.
600 calories, 31 g. fat, 150 mg. cholesterol, 740 mg. sodium, 57 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 24 g. protein