Spiced Sweet Potato Pie
Total Time:1 hour and 50 minutes
If you’re a fan of pumpkin pie, you’ll love this Southern favorite made with sweet potatoes.
- 1 hour and 50 minutes total.
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- Roasted pecans halves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Bake the sweet potatoes, skin on, for 30 minutes. Remove the skin and puree. Measure 2 cups to use in the pie, reserving any leftover for another use.
- Return the puree to the food processor and add the half and half, eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and salt, and process until smooth.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for about 45 minutes longer. When the center of the pie is puffed and a paring knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out with no wet batter, cool the pie on a rack.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
While this pie may be the perfect finale to a fall feast, the sweetness and spice also complement offerings like spicy sausages and olives in a charcuterie tray or the savory flavors in a curry dish.
460 calories, 20 g. fat, 60 mg. cholesterol, 320 mg. sodium, 65 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber , 8 g. protein