Total Time:1 hour, 15 minutes active
This famous, rich and warmly seasoned Indian soup is deliciously comforting and easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, mince (about 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds, then add the cumin, curry, cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper and garam masala, stir for 15 seconds.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth and salt, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the lemon juice and coconut milk and simmer 10 minutes more. Adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve with rice or naan bread.
887 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 736 mg. sodium, 110 g. carbohydrate, 18 g. fiber, 44 g. protein