Total Time:30-40 minutes
Tabouli shouts summer with its refreshing mint and parsley, sour lemon and nutty bulgur wheat. Here, sweet honeydew melon takes the place of the traditional cucumbers and tomatoes for a delicious twist.
- 3/4 cup bulgur (see Tips & Notes)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large bunch curly parsley, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cups honeydew melon, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (optional, for garnish)
In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender. Allow the bulgur to cool. Mix the parsley, melon, scallions, mint, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl. Toss with the cooled bulgur. Garnish with diced red pepper.
Enjoy this light, summery Middle Eastern salad with stuffed grape leaves or serve with grilled meats, poultry or kabobs.
Calories: 93, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 17 mg, Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 3 g