Total Time:40 minutes; 25 minutes active
Tired of the same old pizza? Make this pizza-inspired dip, with the juicy tomatoes, mozzarella and basil you love on a Margherita, made into a warm and creamy dip. Serve with toasted bread for a classic Italian meal, or opt for veggie dippers such as sliced zucchini, broccoli, carrots or jicama.
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese or Neufchatel
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a 9-inch glass pie pan or round casserole, place the tomatoes, then add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting and soft.
- While the tomatoes bake, place the cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and no lumps remain. Alternatively, place the cheese in a large bowl and mash with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add ½ cup of the parmesan, the mozzarella and the oregano and process until well mixed or stir well.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and reduce the heat to 350 F. Transfer the tomatoes and their oil to a medium bowl, leaving a little oil behind. Spread the cheese mixture in the pan you roasted the tomatoes in, then pour the tomatoes and oil back over the cheese, distributing the tomatoes evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with reserved parmesan and bake for 15 minutes, until hot and bubbling around the edges. Sprinkle with basil.
Serve with baguette slices or sliced vegetables.
250 calories, 20 g. fat, 50 mg. cholesterol, 520 mg. sodium, 5 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 11 g. protein