Italian Sausage Soup
Total Time:50 minutes; 25 minutes active
No need to simmer soup all afternoon when you can make this colorful soup in under an hour. Browning sausage and onions creates an intensely flavorful base. Sweet potatoes are a higher fiber root vegetable than potatoes, making this a delectable meal for the carb-conscious.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet potato, 3/4" thick chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, crumble the sausage and stir as it starts to sizzle. Add the onions. Stir and cook until the onion is softened and the sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds, then add the sweet potato and red bell pepper. Stir, then add oregano, salt and chicken stock.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low to simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a paring knife.
- Stir in the kale and cook for five minutes to soften the kale.
- Serve hot, or cool completely before storing, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
Pack in a thermos for a hot lunch or make it heartier with thick slices of garlic bread for dunking in the broth.
440 calories, 25 g. fat, 55 mg. cholesterol, 880 mg. sodium, 39 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 16 g. protein