Braised Leg of Lamb in Pomegranate Sauce
Total Time:2 hours; 25 minutes active
Lamb has a robust flavor that is complemented by the tartness of pomegranate juice. Fragrant, Persian-inspired spices elevate the dish and coat the tender lamb with flavor. If desired, this can be made in advance in the slow cooker.
- 5 pounds leg of lamb, bone in
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt, turmeric, pepper, cinnamon and allspice. Drizzle olive oil in a large oven-safe pan. Place the lamb in the pan and dust with the flour mixture, saving any that doesn’t stick to the lamb to add to the pan.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. Using tongs, turn the lamb every minute or so to sear and brown the exterior. Transfer the roast to a large plate.
- To the pan, add the onions and garlic and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Stir, reducing the heat to medium when the onions start to sizzle. Cook for about five minutes, until the onions are soft and lightly golden.
- Sprinkle any extra flour mixture over the onions and stir, then place the lamb back in the pan. Pour in the pomegranate juice and cover the pan.
- Carefully place in the oven. Bake for two hours. When the lamb is tender and an instant read thermometer inserted in the meat reads 160 F, take the pan out of the oven. Use tongs to transfer the lamb to a platter or carving board. Move the pan to the stove top over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Boil the pomegranate mixture for about 10 minutes, to thicken to about two cups of liquid.
- Slice the lamb and serve over rice or noodles with the sauce ladled over and, if desired, sprinkled with parsley.
A simple side of roasted carrots and potatoes will pair perfectly with this rich, flavorful dish.
400 calories, 21 g. fat, 110 mg. cholesterol, 400 mg. sodium, 12 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 39 g. protein