Banana Beet Muffins
Total Time:35 minutes; 15 minutes active
Beets may not be top of mind as a muffin ingredient, but they lend natural sweetness and beautiful color to these tasty gems.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups grated beets, peeled
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine banana, oil, maple syrup and eggs. Stir until smooth.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just mixed, then stir in beets. Scoop 1/3-cup portions of batter into muffin tins, and bake for 18–20 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted in muffins. If the toothpick emerges with wet batter, bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool before serving.
Serve these unique muffins with some nut butter or jam for a veggie-rich breakfast or snack.
200 calories, 11 g. fat, 55 mg. cholesterol, 280 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protein