White Bean and Kale Minestra
Total Time:45 minutes; 20 minutes active
This delicious vegetarian minestra is bursting with flavor. Serve with garlic bread and a side of macaroni and cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 ounces vegetarian sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound kale, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, including juice
- 2 cups canned cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage and minced garlic and saute a few more minutes, stirring frequently. Add the squash, kale, sun-dried tomatoes, vegetable broth and beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, until the kale and squash are tender, about 15 minutes, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in the fresh basil and oregano just before serving.
Accompany this hearty vegetarian stew with garlic bread and a side of macaroni and cheese. A splash of liquid smoke flavoring (or adding bacon, if you’re not a vegetarian) adds depth of flavor to this dish.
242 calories, 7 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 341 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 16 g. protein