Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole
Total Time:3 hours, 10 minutes; 10 minutes active
Hearty, savory pozole is a traditional Mexican soup often served on Christmas Eve, but this delicious, comforting soup is wonderful any time of the year. This version uses shortcuts like enchilada sauce instead of dried chilies and chicken breast instead of the more traditional pork.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 lb. chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cubed
- 1 28-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded cabbage
- Radishes, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Place the onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chicken stock and enchilada sauce in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the chicken, hominy and salt, and stir to mix. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Serve with toppings (shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cilantro), if desired, and top with lime wedges.
After adding all your toppings, serve with a side of warm tostadas, tortilla chips or bolillo rolls (a traditional Mexican bread).
420 calories, 8 g. fat, 95 mg. cholesterol, 1020 mg. sodium, 45 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 42 g. protein