Seared Sausage, Cabbage and Apples
Total Time:30 minutes, 25 minutes active
Sausages can be a real time saver — just throw them in the pan, no trimming or slicing required. In this recipe, they simmer in a classic combination of flavors, with cabbage, apples and cider for a fragrant, comforting meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 sweet Italian sausages (pork, chicken or turkey), 3 to 4 ounces each
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, unpeeled, sliced
- 1 large onion, slivered
- 4 cups sliced, green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Place a large saute pan over medium-high heat and drizzle in one tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage links and cook for about five minutes, turning every couple of minutes to brown all sides. Use tongs to move the sausage links to a plate.
- Add the apple slices, onion and cabbage and stir. Add salt, thyme and cinnamon, and turn and stir until the apples and cabbage are soft and browned in spots, about four minutes.
- Return the sausages to the skillet, then pour the cider and cider vinegar over the contents of the pan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium to simmer vigorously for about five minutes, until the sausages are cooked through and the liquid is reduced and syrupy. Serve hot.
This hearty meal can be complemented by a side of roasted baby potatoes or wild rice.
320 calories, 16 g. fat, 75 mg. cholesterol, 1110 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 15 g. protein