Red Beans and Rice
Total Time:50 minutes; 15 minutes active
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
This New Orleans classic is so incredibly easy to prepare. It's delicious, colorful and makes a complete meal, all on its own.
The High Five
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, including the juices
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend
- In a two-quart pot, bring one cup of water to a boil, and add the brown rice, red bell pepper, carrot, Cajun seasoning and salt. Return to boil and cover tightly, reduce to low, and cook for 40 minutes.
- When all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, stir in the collard greens and kidney beans with juices. Re-cover the pan and leave over low heat for five to 10 minutes to cook the greens and heat the beans. (Times vary depending on how you like your greens.) Serve hot.
Serve as a side dish to roasted chicken, or feature it as an entrée with a slice of cornbread. Don't forget the hot sauce!
210 calories, 1 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 800 mg. sodium, 39 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 11 g. protein