Mushrooms and Cauliflower with Thyme
Total Time:30 minutes
Tender, flavorful mushrooms and cauliflower make a substantial side dish for Mediterranean main courses. Herby thyme leaf and garlic infuse the dish with flavor. You can opt for veggie stock for a meatless side, or use chicken stock, if you prefer.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces small mushrooms, trimmed, whole
- 1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saute pan, warm the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the onions and stir. Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and stir occasionally until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, vegetable stock, thyme and salt and stir. Bring to a boil until the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 4 minutes.
Serve with chicken or beef kebabs, stuffed peppers or pasta.
110 calories, 6 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 240 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 4 g. protein