Total Time:15 minutes
Why eat plain scrambled eggs when you can make this colorful, Mediterranean-inspired breakfast instead? A saute of peppers, tomatoes and herbs makes this egg dish worthy of a breakfast for guests or a light lunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 large eggs, lightly whisked
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the onion, peppers and tomatoes. Stir until sizzling, then reduce the heat to medium and saute, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano and pepper flakes and cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and the pan is nearly dry.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetables in the pan and scramble, stirring until the eggs are softly cooked, about 4 minutes.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and toasted pita bread or thick slices of crusty bread for dunking.
280 calories, 15 g. fat, 280 mg. cholesterol, 440 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 14 g. protein