Italian Marinated Chopped Salad
Total Time:50 minutes; 20 minutes active
Marinating the toppings of this salad for a few days really improves the flavor. It’s a great way to prep for the week, and once you have the marinated mixture in your fridge, you can assemble a hearty, satisfying meal or a side salad whenever hunger calls.
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 12-oz. jar marinated artichokes
- 1 15-oz.can chickpeas, drained
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 large oranges, peeled, segmented and cut in pieces
- 4 oz. sliced mini-pepperoni
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, chopped
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 4 leaves radicchio, torn
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard and salt. Then whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the artichokes, chickpeas, kidney beans, olives, oranges, pepperoni and mozzarella to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes. This can be tightly covered and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
To serve, spread the romaine and radicchio on a large platter and sprinkle the marinated vegetable mixture over the top, drizzling any leftover dressing over the salad. If desired, toss to mix, or serve as is.
Tips and Notes
Want to make this recipe vegetarian? Hold the pepperoni or try vegetarian "pepperoni" slices.
460 calories, 28 g. fat, 30 mg. cholesterol, 830 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 20 g. protein