Grilled Honey-Dijon Onion Steaks
Total Time:40 minutes; 35 minutes active
When you fire up the grill, don’t forget your veggie sides! This is a fun way to make humble onions into an appealing side dish. Rounds of onion will stay intact on the grill, thanks to a wooden skewer, taking on grill marks and a hint of char. The sweet and tangy Dijon marinade complements the sweetness of the tender onions.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for grill
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water 2 hours, or metal skewers
- Use the tip of a paring knife to remove the root end of the onions, then peel them. Cut each onion across the grain into four thick slices, keeping the slice intact. Hold each slice firmly as you insert a skewer through it, bisecting the round like a lollipop stick. Place the onions on a platter or large baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, red wine vinegar, oregano and salt. Whisk until smooth. Use a spoon or brush to coat both sides of the onion slices with the mustard marinade, reserving the rest for grilling.
- Turn the grill to high heat and clean the grate. Pour a tablespoon or so of oil into a cup and crumple a square of paper towel. When the grill is hot, use grill tongs to dip the paper towel into the oil and oil the grate.
- Place the onion slices on the grill and let cook for about five minutes to create grill marks. Carefully turn the onion slices, baste the top with mustard marinade, and grill for about five minutes. Depending on the thickness of your slices, you will probably need to turn the slices and grill for five minutes longer, basting again with mustard marinade.
- When the onions slices are soft and well-marked, transfer to a platter, drizzle with any remaining marinade and serve.
These pair well with grilled sausages, burgers or veggie burgers.
130 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 360 mg. sodium, 12 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein