Farmhouse Bean Soup
Total Time:30 minutes; 15 minutes active
Warm up with this delicious and affordable weeknight main dish soup. Look for Co+op Basics beans, tomatoes and broth to maximize savings at your local co-op!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 to 4 sprigs each of fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 15-ounce can northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, parsnips and garlic and saute 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth and herbs and bring to a boil. Add the beans, reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Thanks to convenient and nutritious canned beans, this soup is a fast and tasty weeknight main dish. Just add a side salad and a plate of corn tortillas.
300 calories, 6 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 200 mg. sodium, 49 g. carbohydrate, 18 g. fiber, 13 g. protein