Chocolate Chip Oat Pomegranate Cookies
Total Time:40 minutes; 20 minutes active
Upgrade your usual chocolate chip cookie with chewy oats and the brilliant surprise of pomegranate arils, which give a little burst of sweet-tart pomegranate juice. You can often find pomegranate arils in the produce department if you don’t want to cut up the entire fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and reserve.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt, and whisk to mix.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl, place the butter and brown sugar, and beat until light, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest and beat to mix.
- On low, mix in the dry ingredients. When a dough is formed, gently fold in the chocolate chips and pomegranate arils.
- Scoop two tablespoons of dough, packing each portion into a tight dough ball. Place on the sheet pan two inches apart.
- Bake for 14 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
- When the cookies are golden brown around the edges and golden on top, remove from the oven. Cool on pans for five minutes before using a metal spatula to move to cooling racks. Cool completely before storing, tightly covered.
Serve with a cold glass of milk for dessert or a delightful snack.
80 calories, 4 g. fat, 15 mg. cholesterol, 60 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 1 g. protein