Chocolate Chip Applesauce Bundt Cake
Total Time:1 hour, 20 minutes; 15 minutes active
This delicious, moist, chocolate chip-studded cake is sure to become a fast favorite.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally oil a Bundt pan and reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk the unbleached flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the applesauce and brown sugar, then whisk in the eggs, then the oil, until smooth. Stir the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture until all the flour is incorporated, and then fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 1 hour. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake. If the toothpick emerges clean, the cake is done; if it’s coated with wet batter, bake an additional 5-10 minutes and retest.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 15 minutes. Place a serving plate over the top of the Bundt pan and, holding it tightly, flip the cake out onto the plate. Cool completely.
- When the cake is cooled, stir the powdered sugar and milk in a cup, then drizzle decoratively over the cake. Let dry for 1 hour before serving.
- Keeps for a week, tightly covered.
Enjoy a piece of this slightly spiced cake on a chilly day with a warm cup of black tea (the maltiness of which will balance the sweetness and creaminess of the cake).
490 calories, 21 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol, 420 mg. sodium, 70 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 6 g. protein