Total Time:30 minutes
These flavorful chickpeas—popular in northern India—are quick and easy; a perfect meal served with rice or naan and veggies on the side.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, diced fine
- 1/2 cup ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 12 ounces filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the canola oil on medium-high heat in a sauce pan. Add the cumin seeds and let sizzle for about 15 seconds; then add the onions.
- Saute for about 5-10 minutes, until edges start to brown. Add jalapenos, garlic, and ginger, and saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garam masala and cook until dark and thick, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cilantro and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Season to taste.
345 calories, 13 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 546 mg. sodium, 45 g. carbohydrate, 31 g. fiber , 34 g. protein