Brown Basmati Rice Pilaf with Dill
Total Time:50-60 minutes, 20 minutes active
Basmati rice is famous for its perfumed scent, which will waft through your kitchen as it cooks. The nutty grain gets a boost from fresh dill to lift it from the usual fare to a memorable side.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a 2-quart pot with a tight lid, heat the olive oil briefly, then add the onion and carrot. Saute over medium heat, until the onion is soft and clear, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and salt and bring to a boil. Add the rice and return to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Put the lid on and set a timer for 45 minutes. In 45, check the rice, if the liquids are absorbed and surface of the rice is covered with holes, it's done. If not, cook for up to 10 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes to steam.
- Add the peas and dill and fold in, serve hot, sprinkled with pine nuts.
370 calories, 7 g. fat, 4 mg. cholesterol, 480 mg. sodium, 65 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 10 g. protein