Beet Pesto Crostini
Total Time:35 minutes; 20 minutes active
Earthy, vibrant beets combine with garlic and crunchy sunflower seeds in this unusual (and vegan) pesto appetizer. Unlike herb pestos, this keeps refrigerated for a few days, tightly covered.
- 3 2-inch beets, about 6 ounces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 5 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices baguette, toasted
- Wash the beets, but don't peel them. Place them in a small pot and add water to cover by an inch. Put on high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, until a paring knife inserted in a beet slips in easily.
- Drain the beets and rinse with cold water, then trim the tops and slip the skins off under the cold water. Let cool.
- In a food processor, mince the garlic. Add 1/4 cup of the sunflower seeds and pulse to chop finely. Add the beets and process until finely chopped. Add the olive oil and salt and pulse just to mix, don't puree.
- To serve, spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the beet mixture on each baguette slice.
190 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 470 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 5 g. protein