Baked Chicken Roll-ups
Total Time:1 1/2 hours; 20 minutes active
Please a crowd with these easy, succulent chicken roll-ups.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Set the marinade aside.
- Place each chicken breast on a cutting board, and use a knife to butterfly each by starting at the thickest part of the breast. Hold the knife parallel to the cutting board, running lengthwise on the breast, and evenly divide the meat into two sheets, leaving both connected at the center. Open up the breast like a book and place in a gallon-sized zip-close freezer bag. When all the breasts are butterflied, pour in the marinade and toss to mix. Seal and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the bell peppers and jalapeño in thin vertical strips. Take the chicken out of the marinade and place on the cutting board; discard leftover marinade. Place about a quarter of the pepper strips on each chicken breast and roll up to enclose. Fasten with a toothpick. Place on the sheet pan, drizzle with additional olive oil if desired, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
Serve the roll-ups topped with salsa, and add a side of Spanish rice or a combo of black beans and rice garnished with cilantro, fresh lime juice and a dusting of chili powder.
270 calories, 11 g. fat, 95 mg. cholesterol, 390 mg. sodium, 4 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 36 g. protein