Total Time:1 hour, 20 minutes
A French standby, vegetable ratatouille is a meal your family will love!
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large zucchini, quartered and cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned (36 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Salt eggplant and let sit on paper towels for about 20 minutes, to remove moisture. Rinse and pat dry. Toss with 1/4 cup olive oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- While the eggplant is roasting, heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot. Saute the onions for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and saute until tender and lightly browned.
- Add the peppers and saute 5 minutes, then add the zucchini and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and other remaining ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning, and add eggplant. Simmer a few minutes more and serve.
206 calories, 15 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 611 mg. sodium, 19 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 4 g. protein