Summer Tomato Sandwich
Total Time:15 minutes
When your locally grown, heirloom tomatoes are at their peak, you can show off their amazing flavor in this epic sandwich. The surprise ingredient is prepared giardiniera, the colorful pickled vegetables served in Italian delis. They add a tangy crunch to the sandwich.
- 1/2 cup drained giardiniera, chopped; save brine
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 5-inch baguette sections, split
Put giardiniera in a bowl with the mayo and yogurt. Stir to mix.
- Open the baguette sections and spread half of the giardiniera mixture on the bottom half. Arrange tomato slices on baguettes, and place cheese slices on top. Drizzle a few drops of the giardiniera brine on the greens. Place the greens on the cheese, then cover with the top half of the baguette and serve.
Serve with potato chips on the side and watermelon for dessert.
600 calories, 27 g. fat, 45 mg. cholesterol, 1300 mg. sodium, 64 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 28 g. protein