Smoky Grilled Tofu and Broccoli
Total Time:1 hour; 20 minutes active
This easy, aromatic, smoky tofu and broccoli relies on a simple marinade to deliver big on flavor.
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large stalk broccoli (approximately 1 1/2 – 2 pounds), cut into florets
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in a clean kitchen towel. Place on a cutting board with a sheet pan or board on top and let the tofu drain for 30 minutes. Slice into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a large flat container with a lid, stir together the olive oil, tamari, vinegar, garlic, smoked salt and smoked paprika. Carefully place the tofu slices into the marinade and turn to coat. Marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the grill. While the grill is heating, add the broccoli florets to the marinated tofu and toss to coat. When the grill is hot, swab the hot grill with vegetable oil.
- Drain the tofu and broccoli, reserving the marinade for another batch, if desired. Grill over indirect heat, turning tofu and broccoli often, about every 5 minutes, until the edges of the tofu are starting to brown a bit and the broccoli is crisp-tender.
Serve hot on a platter of rice, or cool on bowls of chilled rice noodles. Add grilled strips of bell pepper and onion if you wish.
Tips & Notes
To make this dish in the oven, heat the oven to 400°F, and place the tofu and broccoli on an oiled sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes, flip the pieces with a spatula, and bake for 20 minutes more. Cool on a rack.
230 calories, 17 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 360 mg. sodium, 6 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 18 g. protein