Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
Total Time:8 1/2 hours; 30 minutes active
Slow-cooked to perfection, this moist, tender, crowd-pleasing barbecued pork is simple to prepare.
- 3 1/2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or butt roast
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce bottle barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 16 hamburger buns, toasted
- Prepared coleslaw for garnish, if desired
- Place the pork, onion and garlic in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt. Mix the barbecue sauce and apple juice in a cup and pour over the meat; turn to coat. Tightly close the lid and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and use two forks to place the meat on a large plate, and remove any bone or gristle. Use the forks to shred the meat. Pour the liquids from the pot into a 2-quart pot and place over high heat on stovetop. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half. Pour the sauce over the pulled meat, and either refrigerate for serving later or reheat to serve.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the pork on each hamburger bun and top with coleslaw, if desired.
Serve these hearty sandwiches with baked beans, potato chips and bread-and-butter pickles for a fun, casual meal.
390 calories, 13 g. fat, 55 mg. cholesterol, 580 mg. sodium, 44 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 23 g. protein