Peanut Butter Candy Apples
Total Time:2 hours 30 minutes total; 30 minutes active
Instead of melting packaged caramels, coat your apples with a jacket of peanut butter, cooked with condensed milk. Instead of dipping, you’ll wrap with warm candy around your crunchy apple, and refrigerate to make a candy coating.
- 4 large Honeycrisp, Gala or other sweet apples
- Popsicle sticks
- 1 cup chopped peanuts or mini chocolate chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash and dry the apples and insert a stick into the core of each.
- Line a plate with waxed paper and place the peanuts or chocolate chips on a plate.
- In a small pot, combine the condensed milk, peanut butter and vanilla and mix with a wooden spoon. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring until the mixture is thick and pulling away from the sides of the pot, about 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and use a half cup measure to scoop up the peanut butter mixture. Let cool before handling. Place into your palm and press an apple into it. Mold the mixture around the apple, covering it evenly. Roll in the nuts or chips, then place on the waxed paper. Continue with remaining apples.
- Refrigerate until the coating is cold and firm, about 2 hours.
- Serve cold.
These candied apples are a real treat! Consider splitting one with a friend if a whole apple is too much (no judgement if you want it all for yourself, though!).
1150 calories, 63 g. fat, 45 mg. cholesterol, 770 mg. sodium, 128 g. carbohydrate, 12 g. fiber, 36 g. protein