Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes; 20 minutes active
Give your meatloaf some Mediterranean flair with tangy feta and bright lemon zest. A warm spiced-tomato glaze goes over the top halfway through baking, giving each slice a bit of sweet, tomato contrast.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Get a 9- x 5-inch bread pan.
- Spread the olive oil in a large saute pan and place over medium high heat. Add the onions and stir to coat with oil. Stir frequently until the onions are sizzling, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes to soften the onions. Let the onions cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix breadcrumbs, feta, lemon zest, mint, salt, egg and black pepper. Add the cooled onions and ground beef. Mix well. Press into the bread pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix tomato paste, cinnamon, honey, vinegar and paprika together and pour over loaf and spread evenly.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer (total of 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes; meatloaf should register 160 F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Like all meatloaves, this makes great leftovers. Use in sandwiches or simply reheat to serve with a spinach salad.
320 calories, 19 g. fat, 90 mg. cholesterol, 550 mg. sodium, 16 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 21 g. protein