Creamy Kale and Pea Soup
Total Time:35 minutes
Creamy soups are a perfect comfort food, especially when their rich texture conceals a healthy puree of peas and greens. Sweet peas give the soup such a creamy feel that you might even think there is cream in this one.
- 1/2 pound kale, stems chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups 2% milk or non-dairy milk (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Wash and stem the kale, and chop the stems in small pieces. Reserve. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a large pot, then add the kale stems, onion and potato slices. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the stems and potato slices are soft when pierced with a knife, and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and the kale leaves and stir. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, and let the kale steam for about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir.
- Put the peas and the kale mixture into a blender and puree until very smooth, adding milk as needed for a smooth puree. Add the parsley and blend again until smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot, heat through over medium heat, and season with salt and pepper.
294 calories, 8 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 479 mg. sodium, 47 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 12 g. protein