Cool Teriyaki Tofu Salad
Total Time:15 minutes
In Japan, fresh silken tofu is often savored with a simple sprinkling of soy sauce, for a refreshing, cooling dish. If you can get some handmade tofu, by all means do, but aseptic-boxed tofu is quite tasty with this savory sauce. You can also use this sauce for other dishes, like sushi or stir fry.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 10-ounce blocks silken tofu, drained
- 1 medium red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar. Whisk over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Simmer, lowering the heat so that it bubbles but does not boil over. Cook for 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce is reduced by half. Let cool.
- Slice the tofu crosswise in half inch wide slices and place in a wide flat bowl. Cover with chopped chiles, chives and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
143 calories, 3 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 896 mg. sodium,13 g. carbohydrate,1 g. fiber, 8 g. protein