Classic Caesar Salad
Total Time:40 minutes; 15 minutes active
Crisp romaine, tossed with a creamy, anchovy-laced dressing and shaved Parmesan, all topped with crunchy croutons makes this a salad for the ages. You can customize this salad by using your favorite mayonnaise.
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 head romaine lettuce leaves, washed and torn
- 1 chunk Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Tear the bread into ½ inch chunks and place on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, Worcestershire, garlic, anchovy paste, Dijon, lemon juice and salt and stir to mix.
- Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add the mayo mixture and croutons. Toss to coat. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan over the salad. Serve immediately.
Caesar salad is the perfect accompaniment to a thick steak, grilled chicken, turkey meatballs or lemon pepper tofu.
260 calories, 14 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 1070 mg. sodium, 23 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 12 g. protein