Carrot Top and Pepita Spread
Total Time:15 minutes
Don’t throw those carrot tops away — not when you can make this peppery, savory spread. Look for a bunch of carrots with bright green, fresh greens attached. Spread this on sandwiches, use it like a pesto on pizza, or stir it into cooked rice.
- 1 cup carrot top leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pick the leaves from the stems of the carrots, packing the leaves in a cup. Wash and spin dry or pat dry with a clean towel.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a medium skillet and swirl over medium-high heat until the seeds start to smell toasty and pop. Transfer the seeds to a food processor bowl.
- Add the carrot leaves, garlic clove and salt and process until minced finely. Scrape and repeat. Add the lemon and olive oil and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a storage jar.
Enjoy this spread on sandwiches, use it like a pesto on pizza, or stir it into cooked rice.
180 calories, 18 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 300 mg. sodium, 3 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein